Galley: 1) the kitchen of a boat. Sally: 1) a venture off the beaten path, 2) a military action in which besieged troops burst forth from their position, 3) a witty remark.

Friday, May 27, 2011

Lady's First Enchiladas

These are the enchiladas (my first!) that I made while staying at my sis's house while our boat was hauled out of the water. It is kind of a "cheater's" recipe, as it calls for you to purchase a rotisserie chicken. I thought, "No way! I'll cook my own chicken just fine thank you." But then I went to the store, and hunted through all the packages of chicken, and couldn't find one I liked for less than seven or eight bucks. Seven or eight bucks? That's how much a rotisserie chicken is! AND, I convinced myself, I'm running short on time... A friend was coming to dinner, and I was a bit behind schedule. Obviously, I needed to buy a rotisserie chicken.

Finally, I consoled myself (and you should too), there would be leftover chicken for lunch the next day, or maybe shredded for breakfast burritos.

Rotisserie chicken in hand, I headed back to the house to get things rolling, and I found this recipe to be quite easy to make look and taste good.

(But there are no pictures... the camera was commandeered for our boat haul out.)

From Cooking Light
Serves four
You will need...

olive oil for baking dish
1 cup chopped white onion
1 cup chopped bell pepper, any color
1 10oz. can enchilada sauce
2 cups chopped skinless, boneless rotisserie chicken breast
1 cup shredded, cheddar cheese, divided
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
8 (6-inch) corn tortillas
1/4 cup sour cream or plain yogurt
1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro

1) Preheat broiler. Yes, I had my sister's oven for this one!

2) Warm 1 tablespoon olive oil in large skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion and pepper and sauté until crisp-tender, about 2 mins. Add enchilada sauce; bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 5 minutes.

3) In medium bowl, combine chicken, 3/4 cup of cheese, and cumin, tossing well.

4) Warm small pan over low heat and quickly warm tortillas, one at a time. Warm each side of tortillas, heating so that they are soft and flexible but not browned.

5) Spoon 1/4 cup chicken mixture in center of each tortilla; roll up. Place tortillas, seam sides down, in a lightly oiled 11 x 7-inch baking dish. Pour sauce mixture over enchiladas; broil 3 minutes or until thoroughly heated. Sprinkle remaining 1/4 cup cheese evenly over enchiladas, and broil for 1 minute or until cheese melts.

6)Serve with sour cream and cilantro.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please be respectful and polite to everyone, so that I can keep the comment submissions open to all. Thanks!!