Galley: 1) the kitchen of a boat. Sally: 1) a venture off the beaten path, 2) a military action in which besieged troops burst forth from their position, 3) a witty remark.

Monday, April 25, 2011

Spicy Shrimp Salad

The other day I bought a magazine. It was a treat, bought to accompany me to the laundromat for a marathon session. In it, I discovered a three week meal plan. Everything looked yummy, and the recipes were incredibly short. Sold.

Spicy Shrimp Salad



I wish I had a little tomato garnish to brighten up the above picture... Anyway, this recipe was originally written up as a single serving crab salad, using canned crab. After taking a look at the canned crab ingredient list (more than just crab in there!) and price of a single little can ($4.99), I headed to the seafood section. I don't usually buy shrimp, but these little guys from Oregon looked pretty yummy.

Recipe adapted from Self magazine, four to five large servings

You will need...

12 oz. bag frozen corn, thawed but not warmed
1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
2/3 lb salad shrimp (usually pre-cooked)
2-3 cups fresh spinach per serving
crushed corn chips (I took two large handfuls and squeezed)
juice of 1 lime
3 T. olive oil
hot sauce (to taste)

1) Open bag of corn chips and start to munch. If you have a little salsa on hand, even better.

2) Prepare dressing. In small bowl, mix together lime juice, olive oil and hot sauce.

3) In a large bowl, toss together the corn, beans and shrimp. Add crushed corn chips and toss again.

4) Plate the tossed mixture over 2-3 cups of fresh spinach leaves. Drizzle with dressing and serve with a few chips on the side.

PROS: First, I loved the simplicity of this recipe. I didn't even turn the stove on, and used only two dishes for prep! Second, it tasted great. And finally, even my husband, who is hard to fill up at dinner time, felt full and satisfied (with two servings).

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please be respectful and polite to everyone, so that I can keep the comment submissions open to all. Thanks!!