Galley: 1) the kitchen of a boat. Sally: 1) a venture off the beaten path, 2) a military action in which besieged troops burst forth from their position, 3) a witty remark.

Friday, March 25, 2011

Green Eggs and Ham!!

And cheese! I was super excited to find this recipe that colors the eggs not with food coloring but with spinach!! How healthy is that?? And, I had a sneaking suspicion that my kid would eat spinach once it was responsible for some very cool Seussian eggs. Plus, it could be a breakfast or a dinner (we did dinner).

Another huge pro for this recipe is that it is easy and ingredient friendly (i.e. requires few). I haven't figured out any real cons yet...

Green Eggs and Ham Omelet

serves 1, slightly adapted from "everyday Food"

2 cups tightly packed spinach (trimmed and washed)
I bought the pre-washed and trimmed, which made this recipe even faster
2 large eggs (recipe calls for room temp. my eggs are usually close to that anyway...)
sea salt and ground pepper
1 T. butter
1/4 cup shredded sharp cheddar, shredded (I only had regular cheddar)
2 thin slices deli ham

1) In small skillet, heat 1 T. water over medium high. Add spinach and cook, tossing, until completely wilted. This doesn't take long, about 1 minute. Move spinach to colander and drain, pressing out as much water as possible.

2) Finely chop spinach, transfer to a medium bowl along with eggs. Whisk to combine and season with salt and pepper.


3) Return skillet to heat and melt butter, tilting to coat pan; add egg mixture. Cook, stirring with a heatproof rubber spatula, until eggs begin to thicken, ~30 seconds. With spatula, pull edges of omelet in toward center, tilting pan so uncooked eggs flow underneath. Cook until just set, 15 - 30 seconds.

4) Arrange cheese and ham on top of omelet. With spatula, fold omelet in half. Transfer to a plate and serve immediately.

NOTE: I made my daughter the first omelet, halving all the ingredients and using a little pan, and it turned out perfectly. Then I got a a little cocky and decided to double the recipe and make one big omelet (in a large pan) for my husband and I to split. Don't do this. While it worked out, sort of, it was not simplicity itself like the first omelet. The bottom of the omelet was over-browning before the top set, and when I went to cut it in half for us the ham all sort of slid out. That said, it still tasted great, my daughter ate a full cup of spinach, and we will be cooking this again!

I wish I had taken a pic of my daughter's omelet. Curses! Here you can see the big one, cut in half, ham sliding out... the eggs were actually all a sort of pale green, but the flash was too much for such delicate color...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please be respectful and polite to everyone, so that I can keep the comment submissions open to all. Thanks!!