Galley: 1) the kitchen of a boat. Sally: 1) a venture off the beaten path, 2) a military action in which besieged troops burst forth from their position, 3) a witty remark.

Thursday, March 17, 2011

Beef, Potato, and Leek stew

I found the leeks!



I am easily seduced by recipes calling for me to purchase fewer than five ingredients. For this stew, I already had the potatoes, so I had to buy 3!!

Beef, Potato, and Leek stew

serves 4, adapted from "everyday food magazine"

1.25 lb cubed beef (stew meat)
sea salt and ground pepper
1 bunch leeks (1.5 lbs), use white and green parts only, halved lengthwise, rinsed well and thinly sliced crosswise
5.5 cups organic chicken broth
3/4 pound red potatoes, diced medium


1) Season beef with salt and pepper. In a large Dutch Oven (!), cook beef over medium until some fat has rendered, ~5 mins. Increase heat to high and cook, stirring occasionally, until beef is browned on all sides.

2) Add leeks and cook, scraping browned bits from bottom of pot, until leeks are translucent. Add broth.



3) Bring mixture to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer, partially covered, for 45 minutes. Add potatoes and cook until potatoes and beef are tender, 15-20 mins.

4) Season to taste with salt and pepper.

I don't think a delicious stew could get much easier. I've never cooked with leeks before (no surprise there!), and found the resulting broth sooo good.

Happy stewing!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please be respectful and polite to everyone, so that I can keep the comment submissions open to all. Thanks!!