Galley: 1) the kitchen of a boat. Sally: 1) a venture off the beaten path, 2) a military action in which besieged troops burst forth from their position, 3) a witty remark.

Tuesday, January 10, 2012

khalil's turkey and white-bean chili


Dear Khalil,

I’ve never met you, but you are a culinary genius. When I read your quote, (“Turkey and white-bean chili with no tomatoes may sound unorthodox, but mine is destined to become a classic”), I’ll admit I thought you sounded a touch impudent. But that was before I made your chili. I have never (ever) before sat down to a bowl of chili and with every bite proclaimed: “This is sooo good! Oh, this is really good.”

I loved your chili. Loved it. I made it on a damp, cold evening, and it was incredibly perfect. After scooping the last bit out of the pot, I decided that whenever we have a guest, I’m making your chili. It’s true. So if you decide to visit, you can be sure I’ll be serving your classic.

Sincerely,
Your biggest chili fan

P.S. I made your chili again for the holidays. Win!

From everyday food
Serves 6
Active Time 45 min
Total Time 1 hr 20 min

You will need...

3 Tbsp vegetable oil
1 large white onion, chopped
3 garlic cloves, minced
1 to 2 serrano chiles, seeded and minced (I used one since cooking for a kid)
4 teaspoons chopped fresh rosemary leaves
1 1/2 tsps ground cumin
1 tsp dried oregano (preferably Mexican, but not necessary)
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
coarse salt
1 lb. ground white meat turkey or chicken
5 cups chicken or veggie broth
1 can (~15.5 oz) cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
1 can (~15 oz) white hominy, rinsed and drained
3 Tbsp cornmeal

Suggested Toppings:
Sliced Radishes, Sliced Scallions, Sour Cream


1) In a large Dutch oven or heavy pot, heat oil over medium-high. Add onion and cook until softened ~ 8 mins.

Onion...
Serrano chili, garlic and rosemary.
2) Add garlic, chiles, rosemary, cumin, oregano, and cayenne and cook until fragrant, ~ 2 mins; season with salt. Add turkey and cook, breaking up meat with a wooden spoon, until cooked through, 5 mins.

Onion and spices softening and "fragrant-ing"
With ground turkey or chicken
3) Add broth, beans and hominy; bring to a boil over high. Partially cover, reduce heat, and simmer until chili is thickened slightly, 25 mins. Stir in cornmeal and cook 15 mins. Season to taste with salt.

Beans, hominy, broth
Get it all in the pot!
Cornmeal! Last step!
4) Sit. Eat. And frequently comment on how good this is.

Top with sour cream, (and radishes and scallions if you like!).


No comments:

Post a Comment

Please be respectful and polite to everyone, so that I can keep the comment submissions open to all. Thanks!!