Galley: 1) the kitchen of a boat. Sally: 1) a venture off the beaten path, 2) a military action in which besieged troops burst forth from their position, 3) a witty remark.

Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Simply Amazing Split-Pea Soup

I have to tell you all about this soup, even though I didn't take a picture. !!

I know... pictures are best, but I didn't know it was going to be so good, and then I was too busy "eating" to take a picture. When you are trying to spoon soup with one hand, hold a bowl with the other, flip fresh biscuits in the pan with your elbow, and calm a freaking out four year-old with deep breaths and lots of love... well, the camera suffers.

But this soup... nothing suffers with this soup. Not your budget, not your time, not taste, nothing! I don't have exact measurements because I just threw it together, but I think it would still be amazing by approximation.

Serves: Two adults and one child, with leftovers for two adult lunches! You will need...

1 fantastic, large pork chop, ~ 3/4 lb. I got mine from a small local farm. I found this very exciting.
1-2 carrots, sliced small
1-2 celery stalks, sliced small
1 large yellow onion, chopped
1/2 -3/4 cup barley
1 1b green split peas
water
salt and pepper to taste

What you do...

NOTE:  I didn't measure my water, but the package for the peas says about 8 cups per pound. I'm guessing I used somewhere between 11 and 13 cups of water total. Just start with closer to 8, and add water throughout as your soup thickens. This way, you'll get the consistency you want.

1) Place ~8 cups water and raw pork chop (mine was even frozen) in Dutch oven or heavy bottomed pot and heat over high flame. Add chopped onion and barley and bring to a boil.

2) Add carrots, celery and split peas. Return to boil, then reduce to steady simmer and cover.

3) Check regularly to stir and add water as necessary. My soup simmered for about an hour and fifteen minutes. Yours will be done when the peas reach the consistency you like. We like very soft here.

4) When the peas are done, remove the pork chop and place on cutting board. Remove all meat from bone, dice, and return meat to pot. If the soup is too runny, simmer with cover off until right. If soup is too thick, add water slowly.

5) When soup is ready, ladle into bowls and serve with salt and pepper. So Yum!!! I am eating the leftovers for lunch as I type, and am going to go heat up the last bowl now.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Please be respectful and polite to everyone, so that I can keep the comment submissions open to all. Thanks!!