Galley: 1) the kitchen of a boat. Sally: 1) a venture off the beaten path, 2) a military action in which besieged troops burst forth from their position, 3) a witty remark.

Monday, September 19, 2011

Pasta a la Mama!

Don't you wish I named this recipe? I do!

And don't you wish you knew what to do with those dibs and dabs of left over pasta? I do!

I recently checked out two cookbooks from the library, and I have been reading them. Which is weird. I'm having a difficult time reconciling myself to the idea that I have spent two evenings--in a row--sipping tea and being fascinated by recipes. Recipes! And dreaming, dreaming, dreaming of an oven. And scheming, scheming on how not to need an oven... We'll see.

In the meantime, I found this great little recipe in Myra Goodman's Earthbound Farm Cookbook. That isn't the name of the cookbook though. I cannot recall the actual name, but the entire book is based on and developed from Myra's experience creating Earthbound Farm and the Earthbound Farm Stand. If you shop organically at all, I'm sure you'd recognize the Earthbound Farm label. I did, but I never knew that the farm began as a little two acre raspberry farm... or that there is a farm stand whipping out yummy recipes. Or that I would finally know what to do with my leftover pasta !

Too many times I have packed up the last bit of pasta nobody ate for dinner, put it in the cooler, and never used it. Why? Because there wasn't really enough to do anything with. Or so I thought. Enter...  

Pasta a la Mama!
 

Now, it may not look like much, but it definitely falls into the category of comfort food. Warm. Cheesy. A little salty (from the Parmesan). Mmmmmm. A breakfast so easy!

Serves 2-3  
You will need:

1 to 1.5 cups cooked penne or spiral pasta, cut into bit size pieces. (I sliced each penne in two the night before)
1 Tbsp butter
4 eggs, whisked together in small bowl
1/3 cup grated Parmesan. (Fresh is best, but I used "shake cheese")
1/2 cup grated Mozzarella (I substituted cheddar, still tasted great)

1) Warm the pasta if it is cold (I reheated mine on the stove top with a touch of water to prevent burning).

2) Melt butter in frying pan over medium heat. Add eggs and cook for 30 seconds. Add pasta and mix, stirring constantly, until eggs just set.

3) Sprinkle Parmesan over top and stir to combine evenly.

4) Sprinkle Mozzarella or Cheddar over top. Cover. Cook 30 seconds more, then turn off heat. Let sit covered one minute. Serve immediately.  

Note: This recipe is easy, but moves fast! Be sure to have your cheeses grated and ready so as not to overcook the eggs, and don't let anyone interrupt you... I suspect I would have had better pasta/egg integration, but got sidetracked by a four year old.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please be respectful and polite to everyone, so that I can keep the comment submissions open to all. Thanks!!