Galley: 1) the kitchen of a boat. Sally: 1) a venture off the beaten path, 2) a military action in which besieged troops burst forth from their position, 3) a witty remark.

Monday, November 21, 2011

One-Pot Curried Cauliflower Rice

Let me tell you about curry. When you cook with curry, the food tastes like you really know what you're doing. Even I felt the stirrings of culinary accomplishment with this simple dish that doesn't taste too simple. It tastes good. Really good. And it tastes like you're good. So. Cook with curry, then wait for the praise and accolades.

Lovely, warming, and not too spicy, this is a one pot delight. Put it on your table tonight! Or, if you're like us, balance it on your knees tonight.

I have actually made this dish three times now, but it wasn't until this last time that I took pictures.

The first time I made this dish, I didn't eat a bit of it. I'll admit I have the peculiar habit of making dinners that I've never even tasted, and then giving them to people. Afterward, I go home and stress about about the food and whether it was any good, until eventually I make the same thing for myself to satisfy my concerned curiosity. Twice now, I have made dinners for families with new babies, and each time I made something I had never made before. Don't ask why. I don't know. It is especially strange considering a childhood experience involving a new recipe, Martha Stewart photography and a big dinner party (I'll get you my pretty! And your little cream cheese filled pea pods too!)

So, I made this recipe for the first time after telling a family I would bring them dinner. Then, I went to a kitchen that wasn't mine. The kitchen was also ill equipped for cooking, and had no camera. Seriously. Who doesn't keep a camera in their kitchen? Still, the dish smelled so delicious while cooking that I didn't worry quite as much as usual.

(Note: The family later reported that the biggest fan of this dish was their two year old. Yay!)

The second time I made this dish, I was at home, but my camera batteries were dead. Delicious! But again, no pictures.

Finally, round three. Everything worked out. Awesome easy dinner and pictures -- though I must say, with the dark evenings I'm having trouble getting good shots of the food.

One-Pot Curried Cauliflower Rice
You're supposed to bake this but I didn't!! Ha ha!

From Everyday Food
Serves 6

You will need...

4 tsp vegetable oil
1 large head cauliflower, cored and cut into 1.5 inch pieces
coarse salt and ground pepper
1 medium yellow onion, diced small
2 cups basmati or other long-grain white rice (I heart basmati)
4 teaspoons curry powder
1 can (15.5 oz) chickpeas, rinsed and drained
3 cups low-sodium chicken or vegetable broth (I keep a jar of Organic Better than Bouillon around)
1/2 cup heavy cream (I used 1/2 cup evaporated canned milk. Works/tastes just great)

1. If you're going to bake this, preheat your oven to 400 degrees. I didn't bake it any of the times, and it is just fine.

2. In a Dutch oven (!) or other heavy pot, heat 2 tsp oil over medium high. Add cauliflower and cook, stirring frequently, until browning and just a touch of caramelizing. Transfer to a plate/dish and season with salt and pepper.



3. Add 2 tsps oil and onion to pot; cook, stiffing occasionally, until onion is translucent ~ 5 mins. Add rice, curry powder and chickpeas and season with salt and pepper. Cook, stirring constantly, until rice is coated, ~ 2 mins.



4. Add broth and cream and bring to a boil. Scatter cauliflower over top (do NOT stir to combine). If baking: cover and bake until rice is tender and liquid is absorbed, ~ 15 mins. If not baking: Cover. Adjust heat to a very low simmer and cook until rice is tender and liquid is absorbed.



5. Let cool 10 mins before serving.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Please be respectful and polite to everyone, so that I can keep the comment submissions open to all. Thanks!!